Saturday, November 12, 2011

Being True to Yourself

I'm thinking more lately about the importance of being authentic.

Of being who you are, despite a plethora of voices telling you who to be, how to be.

And I suppose that for me, the journey towards publication has been a catalyst for these thoughts. The "business of publishing," to judge from the blogs of writers and editors and publishers, is filled with advice, maxims, commands.

Conventional wisdom.

While I believe in "absolute truth" in a theological sense, there are many, many "truths" of life (and business, and publishing) that are nothing more than thinly-disguised opinions. As I get older, I find myself becoming more weary of these, and the voices that propagate them.

In our culture, we worship the god of Confidence.  And too much reliance on the Confident will lead you into a labyrinth in which you lose the essence of You.

I want to be true to the pattern God constructed for me.  Wherever that path leads.

If you're interested, I'll be sharing some observations on "what's true for me" over the coming months.

Agree or disagree, at least you'll know.

No comments:

Post a Comment